It is a well established and recognized fact that children can be catalysts in promoting a mass movement about the ensemble of the environmental issues. Being future citizens, inculcation of environment friendly attitudes and behavioral patterns amongst them can make a significant difference to the long term efforts for protection of environment.
National Green Corps , popularly known as NGC is a national programme conceptualized and initiated by the Ministry of Environment and Forests and Climate Chang, Government of India. As the name suggests, it is a programme to sensitize school children about environment , its problems and conservation. Started in the year 2001, the programme is operational across the country through school eco-clubs established for this purpose. The programme with its network of more than 1,00,000 schools and about 35 lakh students has promoted awareness and action to solve local environmental problems.
• To make children understand environment and environmental problems.
• To provide environmental education opportunities for school children.
• To utilize the unique position of school children as conduits for awareness of the society at large.
• To facilitate children’s participation in decision making in areas related to environment & development.
• To bring children into direct contact with the environmental problems facing the society they live in and make them think of solutions.
• To involve children in action based programmes related to environmentin their surroundings.
The NGC programme will be implemented in all the states and union territories in the country.
• 250 schools in every district
• 100 colleges in every state (2017-18 onwards)
Overview of NGC